Beef and cabbage with sweet and sour tomato sauce. Family loves it.
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons quick cooking oats
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 medium head cabbage, cut into thin wedges
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
Place a large skillet over medium heat; cook the ground beef, onion, celery, and green bell pepper in the hot skillet until the beef is completely browned, 7 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle the oats, 3/4 teaspoon salt, the garlic powder, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper into the beef mixture. Arrange the cabbage wedges atop the beef mixture.
Stir the tomato sauce, cider vinegar, and brown sugar together in a bowl; season with salt and pepper. Pour over the cabbage and beef mixture. Place a cover on the skillet and simmer until the cabbage is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Servings: 6 – Yield: 6 servings