This is a basic salmon patty made with oatmeal and fried in canola oil and butter. The cook can adjust the amount of onion, oil, and butter to meet preferences. We often enjoy this with a meat sauce.
- 2 (6 ounce) cans boneless, skinless salmon, drained
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion, or more to taste
- ¾ cup quick-cooking oats, or as needed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
Mix salmon, egg, and chopped onion in a bowl with your hand; add oats incrementally, mixing until the mixture holds together and it not overly moist. Shape the mixture into 4 patties.
Heat oil and butter together in a skillet over medium heat until the butter is melted and the mixture is hot. Fry patties in oil mixture until browned and heated through, about 7 minutes per side.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 25 mins
Servings: 4 – Yield: 4 patties