This ceviche will give you a hint of Baja California. This is my grandma Isabel Flores’ recipe. Garnish with fresh oregano. Enjoy with tostadas and ketchup. I enjoy my ceviche spreading a thin layer of mayonnaise in my tostada prior to add the ceviche. From my table to yours. Enjoy.
- 1 pound shrimp, deveined and chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups lime juice
- 1 ½ cups chopped white onion
- 1 cup pickled jalapeno peppers and juice, divided
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup finely chopped cucumber
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 ½ tomatoes, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup finely chopped cilantro
Place shrimp in a single layer in a deep serving dish. Add a generous amount of salt and black pepper. Add lime juice and let sit until shrimp become white, about 30 minutes.
Add onion and vinegar from the jalapeno peppers. Let sit 15 to 20 minutes more.
Add jalapeno peppers, carrots, cucumber, celery, tomatoes, and cilantro. Let ceviche sit another 10 minutes.
Preparation time: 45 mins
Cook time: –
Total time: 1 hr 40 mins
Servings: 4 – Yield: 4 servings