Quick, easy approximation of Louisiana-style red beans and rice. Just before serving, sprinkle with smoked salt or a little liquid smoke. Serve atop brown rice with more hot sauce at the table.
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ green bell pepper, quartered
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (Optional)
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Heat a large nonstick pot over medium-high heat.
Place onion and garlic into a food processor and pulse on and off to mince. Add to the heated pan. Chop bell pepper finely in the processor and add to pan. Repeat with the celery.
Stir vegetables well and add 2 tablespoons water. Cook until soft, 6 to 10 minutes.
Place 1/2 of the beans and tomatoes into the food processor. Process until all beans are coarsely chopped, just short of pureed.
Stir the blended beans, whole beans, remaining tomatoes, hot sauce, thyme, oregano, smoked paprika, salt, black pepper, and cayenne. Cover tightly, reduce heat to lowest setting, and cook until flavors combine at least 30 minutes. Stir every 5 or 10 minutes.
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 55 mins
Servings: 6 – Yield: 6 servings