Something delicious to make with leftover halibut or cod or any white fish. My Alaskan family and extended family in the lower 48 love these.
- ¼ cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1 pound skinless, boneless halibut fillets
- 1 pinch salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning (such as Old Bay®)
- ¾ cup panko bread crumbs
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add halibut fillets; season with salt and pepper. Cook until flesh flakes easily with a fork, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate; cool until easily handled, about 5 minutes. Flake into small chunks.
Mix Italian cheese blend, egg, mayonnaise, onion, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, dry mustard, and seafood seasoning together in a large bowl. Gently mix in flaked halibut.
Pour 3/4 cup bread crumbs into a shallow dish. Shape halibut mixture into 6 cakes and dip both sides in bread crumbs to coat.
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Add halibut cakes and cook until browned, about 5 minutes per side.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cook time: 18 mins
Total time: 43 mins
Servings: 6 – Yield: 6 halibut cakes