This ground beef casserole with noodles was Grandma’s best creation – this was my one request for my birthday every year.
- 1 (12 ounce) package egg noodles
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 pinch salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 ¼ cups grated Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 (6 ounce) can chopped olives
- 1 (4 ounce) jar chopped pimento peppers
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rapid boil. Cook egg noodles at a boil until tender yet firm to the bite, 7 to 9 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir ground beef, bell pepper, and onion in the hot skillet until beef is browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir flour into the drippings in the pan; slowly whisk in milk and season with salt and pepper. Stir in 1 cup Cheddar cheese, olives, and pimentos.
Drain noodles and fold into the beef mixture. Transfer to a casserole dish and cover with remaining cheese.
Bake in the preheated oven until bubbly and cheese is melted and browned, about 40 minutes.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cook time: 55 mins
Total time: 1 hr 15 mins
Servings: 8 – Yield: 8 servings