In the Navy this is served over toast at breakfast.
- 1 ½ pounds lean ground beef
- 2 onions, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 (8 ounce) cans peeled and diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (5.5 ounce) can tomato juice
- 2 cups hot water
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef and onions until beef is evenly browned; do not drain. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in flour 1 tablespoon at a time, until beef juices have been absorbed.
Stir in tomatoes, tomato juice, and water. Simmer on low heat to thicken.
Stir in nutmeg and sugar; simmer until flavors are blended well.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Servings: 10 – Yield: 10 servings