Flavorful shredded chicken makes the perfect stuffing for enchiladas, tacos, burritos, or whatever you like! Zesty ingredients like green chiles, lime, and cumin cook all day in a slow cooker. I like to serve this with fresh corn tortillas for taco night, but the possibilities are endless with a shredded chicken like this.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 ½ pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 ½ pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 2 (7 ounce) cans diced green chile peppers, divided
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 whole head garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 large limes, juiced, divided
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
Place oil in the bottom of a slow cooker. Add chicken breasts and thighs, 1 can of chile peppers, onion, garlic, cumin, 1/2 of the lime juice, salt, and pepper.
Cook on Low until chicken is falling apart, about 8 hours.
Remove chicken and shred with 2 forks.
Return chicken to the slow cooker. Add remaining chile peppers and lime juice; stir. Test flavor and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cook time: 8 hrs
Total time: 8 hrs 15 mins
Servings: 16 – Yield: 16 servings