Perfect black-eyed peas to ring in the new year. Serve with bread and southern-style hot sauce.
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth, or more to taste
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried black-eyed peas
- 2 pounds diced smoked ham
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 leaf (blank)s bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder, or to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
Heat bacon drippings in a large pot over medium heat. Cook onion and celery in the hot drippings until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add chicken broth and peas and increase heat to medium-high.
Add ham, tomato sauce, bay leaves, and 1/2 of the following spices: paprika, chili powder, white pepper, and oregano; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until beans are tender, about 1 hour 45 minutes. Add remaining spices and season with salt and black pepper. Cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
Remove bay leaves before serving.
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cook time: 2 hrs 30 mins
Total time: 3 hrs
Servings: 12 – Yield: 12 servings