Super tasty, sweet, and salty beef empanadas from my mom’s recipe.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or to taste
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic, or more to taste
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 pinch ground paprika, or to taste
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 large hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 2 large egg yolks, beaten
- ½ cup pimiento-stuffed green olives, chopped
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 sprig fresh parsley
- 20 pieces empanada pastry discs
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onion and garlic in the hot oil until soft, about 5 minutes. Add ground beef, paprika, salt, and pepper; cook and stir until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl.
Mix hard-boiled eggs, olives, raisins, and parsley into the meat mixture.
Using a spoon or your fingers, take a little of the ground beef mixture and place it in the middle of the dough discs. Fold the disc over and crimp the edges on both sides with the fork, leaving an indentation in the dough. Coat the outsides of the empanadas with egg yolk using a brush and place on a flat baking sheet.
Bake in the preheated oven until the shells are somewhat browned, 24 to 28 minutes. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before enjoying.
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
Total time: 1 hr 20 mins
Servings: 10 – Yield: 20 empanadas