Using pantry items plus a couple of fresh items, you can create a cheesy, comforting casserole your whole family will love. Though it does include RO*TEL® and a can of mild green chile peppers, it’s not spicy, but if you like the heat, choose hot RO*TEL® and peppers. This pantry chicken casserole reheats well, too, but I had to hide it, or there would have been no night #2! A crusty bread and a green salad complete this easy pantry meal.
- cooking spray
- 1 (16 ounce) package penne pasta
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper – stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (8 ounce) packages processed cheese food (such as Velveeta®), cubed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles (such as RO*TEL®), undrained
- 1 (4 ounce) can mild chopped green chile peppers
- 4 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a large casserole dish with cooking spray.
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add penne and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender yet firm to the bite, about 11 minutes. Drain.
While the pasta is cooking, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until they release their liquid, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Stir in processed cheese food, diced tomatoes and juice, diced tomatoes and green chiles with juice, and mild chile peppers. Cook and stir until cheese has melted, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cooked pasta and chicken. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
Bake in the preheated oven until heated through, about 20 minutes. Serve warm.
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 55 mins
Servings: 10 – Yield: 10 servings