Down home crab cakes are heavy on the crab, light on the filler.
- 16 saltine crackers, finely crushed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 pound flaked cooked crabmeat
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 ½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon seafood seasoning (such as Old Bay®) (Optional)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup vegetable oil for frying
Stir the cracker crumbs and water together in a mixing bowl. Let stand 1 minute to soften the crackers. Add the crabmeat, egg, mustard, and mayonnaise. Season with Worcestershire sauce, seafood seasoning, salt, and black pepper; stir until evenly mixed.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Form the crab mixture into patties 3/4-inch thick. Cook in the hot oil until golden brown on each side and hot in the center, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate before serving.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 20 mins
Servings: 8 – Yield: 16 crab cakes