These clams are steamed in dark beer with chourico sausage and red onions for a full flavored meal.
- 24 small clams in shell, scrubbed
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces chourico sausage, diced
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (Optional)
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle dark beer
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed roma tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
Place clams in a large pot with enough water to cover. Stir in cornmeal. Let stand for about 20 minutes. Rinse clams thoroughly before cooking.
Heat the olive oil and garlic in a large pot over medium heat. When the garlic is fragrant, add the chourico, onion, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes, then pour in about 3/4 of the beer. Let simmer for a few more minutes, then add the clam juice, tomatoes, and rinsed clams.
Cover, and simmer until all clams have opened. Season with oregano, salt and pepper before serving. Drink or discard remaining beer.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Servings: 4 – Yield: 4 servings