A Mediterranean-flavored chicken and vegetable stew served over couscous. It’s my all-time favorite, and it’s delicious!
- 3 ¼ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking couscous
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cut into cubes
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- ½ cup finely chopped jalapeno chile peppers
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ teaspoons grated fresh ginger root
- 1 ½ teaspoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of the chicken broth to a boil. Stir in couscous and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the olive oil. Turn off heat, cover, and let stand 10 minutes.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Stir in the chicken, season with pepper, and cook until no longer pink and juices run clear. Remove chicken from the skillet, and set aside.
Heat the remaining olive oil in the skillet over medium heat. Stir in the jalapeno peppers and carrot, and saute about 2 minutes. Mix in the zucchini, green onions, ginger, and 1/4 cup chicken broth. Continue to cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes.
In a small bowl, blend the remaining 1 cup chicken broth with curry powder, coriander, and cornstarch. Pour over the vegetables. Return chicken to the skillet. Continue cooking about 2 minutes until chicken is coated and the broth mixture begins to thicken. Serve over the couscous.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 45 mins
Servings: 4 – Yield: 4 servings