An unusual blend of seasonings flavor this slow cooker meal that takes advantage of the abundance of asparagus available in the spring. In other seasons fresh green beans would be an option to replace the asparagus.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into strips
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 ripe Bartlett pears, cored and sliced
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook the chicken in the hot oil until completely browned, 3 to 5 minutes; transfer to a slow cooker. Add the onion to the chicken; season with salt and pepper. Place the pears and asparagus atop the chicken mixture.
Mix the garlic, balsamic vinegar, apple juice, rosemary, ginger, and sugar together in a bowl; pour over the asparagus. Season again with salt and pepper.
Cook on Low for 4 to 6 hours.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cook time: 4 hrs
Total time: 4 hrs 20 mins
Servings: 4 – Yield: 4 servings